Be it the Dad or Mom, it just doesn’t matter because the parent has a voice the government officials want to hear but all too often the parent has no idea on how to express their ideas, concerns and wants. For the intents of this article I will focus on the father figure because that’s who I am, what this site and Blog are all about and more than likely you, our esteemed reader.
For the last six months I have been taking a Family Leadership class ands this coming Thursday, June 24, 2010 is our local graduation. The curriculum, Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) from the State of Connecticut is an evidenced based curriculum with proven positive outcomes for children, families, and the community. The Colorado Family Leadership Training Institute (FLTI) (their web site is kind of weak I know because the links in the upper navigation go nowhere), and is of the same shared philosophy and is working with PLTI.
FLTI is a first-of-its-kind family civics program where graduates spend more than 120 hours to develop skills needed to become effective leaders in their communities. Once recruited and accepted in to the program, participants attend a 20-week curriculum that integrates personal and child development, leadership training, civic literacy and civic participation skills. The curriculum includes four components:
- An initial retreat
- Two 10-week sessions that focus on knowledge about the change process
- Skill building, and tools of civic engagement
- A community project
- Brain food for kids and getting the kids to make smart choices in their diet.
- A new mother who is breast feeding but has health issuers and has to go back into the hospital, then what -in short an educational training web site for Dr’s, Hospitals, and parents on what breast feeding options are for mom ( still in development).
- Battleground Christian Community Outreach Center (currently in operation) which is a is a non-profit, community based, multi-program social service agency. Battleground believes that positive personal growth reflects positive community change, creating a safer and healthier environment. They seek to provide life changing services to a diverse population, which will empower individuals to live a more prosperous life. Battleground Christian Community Outreach Center will work to empower people of all ages, races, and cultural backgrounds as we value diversity in the community.
- A “So Now You’re Special: Educating Parents on the Special Education Process” which is self explanatory among other equally inspiring programs.